This is derived from the recipe in cooking Hainanese chicken, but I personally decided that I will not be able to make this dish perfect enough to be rightfully called as Hainanese chicken. I have tasted the said delicious Singaporean pride and it’s one of my favorites, one that I always should have every time I set foot in Singapore.
Now, with respect to this dish that I love so much, I made my own in the comforts of my French home because I miss it so dearly.
Chicken (whole or in your option of pieces)
Scallions / Green onions – cut in halves
Salt – 1 Tbsp
Shaoxing wine – 1/4 cup
Ginger – sliced
How to cook:
1. Clean the chicken by tapping it gently with tissue
2. Prepare a pot of water and let it boil
3. Once it boils, put in the ingredients gently in the pot. Do not skip on the Shaoxing wine because this adds an incredible taste, and it also helps in making the chicken more deliciously tender 🙂
4. Leave the pot to simmer in low heat to gently cook the chicken for about an hour
5. Once cooked, gently transfer it to a wide dish
6. Better served with rice and dipping sauces
As for the dipping sauce, here are the ingredients:
Minced scallions / green onions
Oil (I chose a mixture of vegetable oil and sesame oil)
The amount of oil that you have to use depends on how much of the minced scallions and ginger you have created. I usually don’t go for measurements. I used one large scallions and medium-sized ginger, and used 1/3 cup of the oil for this sauce.
Heat the pan with the oil. You will know that it is hot enough once you place a wooden spoon or chopsticks, and there are bubbles reacting to it. In a ceramic bowl (one that can withstand heat), mix the scallions, ginger, salt and pepper together. Then, gently pour in the hot oil. It has a very satisfying sound, but be very careful in pouring it in. We don’t want you get burned with this. Mix everything afterwards and it is now ready to be served.
I hope you will enjoy this as much as I do. I created another one yesterday, and the chicken stock that I was able to create is the one I used in making my paella. Now, that is something that I will also share to you soon. 🙂